Friday, October 19, 2007

The Cost of Free Kittens

Did PetsMart's stock go up yesterday?


Wouldn't be surprised if it had.

It should have, after I got finished at my local branch. One seventeen-and-a-half pound bag of premium dry kitten kibble! Twenty-four five-and-a-half ounce tins of kitten dinner, ditto premium! Forty pound box of clumping kitty litter (Huw, the litter box connoisseur, has declared it his favorite, which is convenient)! A new scratching post! Nature's Miracle enzymatic cleaner against the marking behavior which evidence tells me has already started! Sticky-Paws tape to protect the new slipcover I bought to cover the feline-ripped loveseat! Anti-scratching spray, as a back-up for same! Three new feather-ornamented kitty toys, which the dog will want to go after first!

The dent in the checkbook is not pretty.

On the other hand, the kittens are. For all that, I get one sleek four-month old kitten and one fluffy. I get two more balls of fur to snuggle up to me in bed at night. I get diet aid for my admittedly-overweight grownup cat, who abandons her bowl whenever she sees the kittens coming. I get two little creatures for my dog to shepherd. I get a helper and companion in my computer work. I get a furry little doorstop for the back door.
And when the cold weather sets in, I'll get two more portable (well, mobile) heaters to keep the bedroom warm when the thermostat turns down at night.

That's what I call value for money.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I feel your pet store visit pain (and I only have 2 cats)! However, it is well worth the cost.