Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fostering Service

The kittens are presently with me, enscounced in their wire kennel in the guest bedroom.


I spent the afternoon preparing the room, covering up a duct opening I'm sure they'd be thrilled to explore.

Well, sorry, kiddos, you can't.

When I came over to my friend Hannah's* house this evening, the kittens were taking the air on the side porch, out of the way of the last of the moving operation. As we shifted food bowls and prepared to dismantle the cage, I asked Steve* what their working names were.

"Oh, the striped one we call 'Tiger,' and the other one is 'Cream o' Wheat, because of his color.'"

Good enough handles, if you don't know yet if they're boys or girls.

He said, "I've got somebody who'll take Tiger, here. Think you might like to take Cream o' Wheat?"

And the wheels are going in my head: Rhadwen is almost nine years old. I'd hate to be without a cat when, God forbid, she goes. If I'm going to bring a kitten into the house, I'd better do it soon, while she can still keep up with it. But I was really hoping there would be a calico. Do I want a pink cat that looks like Puff in the Dick, Jane, and Sally books?

Oh, well, I'll think about that later!

Once everything-- including the surprisingly docile kittens in their carrier-- were loaded into my car, I drove to my place, quickly set things up in the guest bedroom (No, Rhadwen and Llewellyn, you mayn't come in and see!), then ran up to the PetsMart just before closing time for Science Diet kitten food and some kitty toys they might like. Hannah gave me what's left of the food she was feeding them, but I think it might be the adult cat food they had for their older cats, and there's not much left of it, anyway. I'll blend it with the Science Diet as prescribed.

Thursday, they have an appointment at the vet's for their initial checkup and shots. At that time we should find out what sex they are. I hate guessing.
I've put baskets with towels in them in the kennel for them to sleep and feel secure in. Hannah told me she kept finding them curled up together in the litter pan. I'd say that's because that's the only thing they had with a semblance of walls or shelter, there in the desolate family room with the debris of moving all around. I seriously doubt it's because these kittens like sleeping in sh1t!

(Yeah, that's a very Lutheran way to put it. But the alliteration is wanted.)


They really are sweet. I didn't bother them this evening by holding them much, but when I did, they were both very good at keeping their claws in.

This looks promising.

No comments: