Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Sop to the Worry Demons

I called the vet's today to change Gwenith and Huw's follow-up appointment for the 11th.

We're still going for their shots and all that day, but in the morning instead of in the evening. I've had a meeting come up.

So as long as I had the receptionist/tech on the phone, I asked her, "Um, the male we were calling Tiger when he first came in, he's been having coughing spells: I notice them once every two or so days. Should I bring him in before the 11th? Like today?"

"I don't think that'd be necessary. It's normal for kittens to get little respiratory infections. They get over them."

"Well, I guess so. Yes, my big cat and I both got the flu at the same time when she was a kitten, and we were on the same antibiotic! So you don't think it could be something like feline asthma?"

"It's unlikely," said the tech. "But keep an eye on him, and if he's still coughing when you come in, let the vet know."

So, okay, that's what I'll do. Though they saaaaayyy that feline asthma is hard to diagnose and a lot of vets don't/won't consider it . . . What if? . . . . (Oh, no!) But if there are other, more innocuous possibilities, like a transient bug . . . . And yes, if Huw isn't coughing anymore in two weeks, I guess that means asthma is unlikely . . . I mean, it'd stay the same or get worse, right? . . . .

Oh, phooey, buck up, kid! Watch the little cat, see how he does, and act accordingly.

No comments: