Saturday, August 18, 2007

Pwy Ydych Chi?

I've spent a remarkable amount of time so far this weekend, sitting on the floor in the Kitten Room and reading.


After all, the kittens need socialized, I've got a book here that I've owned for a few years but have never read (Christy, by Catherine Marshall), so why shouldn't I combine the-- ahem! tasks?
I've named the pinky-yellow one "Gwenith." That's a natural transformation from "Cream o' Wheat (sorry, Steve*, no), since gwenith is Welsh for wheat.
So now that all three of the other four-legged kids have Welsh names, the little boy kitten has to have one, too. Of one syllable, I've decided, since it flows nicely with "Gwenith and--" Rhys, maybe? I keep looking at him and trying to make it fit, but it won't, not quite.
I'll write my friend Ruth* back in my home town. She's got three dogs and one cat and she's good at naming animals. What's more, she's deep-dyed in Welsh culture and activities. Her ear should be good for this.

No comments: