Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Huw Ydy Enw'r Cath Bachgen Bach

This afternoon I wrote my friend Ruth* via email:

"Here are a few shots of the kittens. Now I have to finish naming them.

"The fluffy wheaten one is Gwenith. I want the stripey male to have a one-syllable name so they're easy to say together: "X and Gwenith," "Gwenith and X" . . .

"Do you think he looks like a Rhys? Or more like a Huw? ("Gwenith and Huw" is easier to say). 'Rhys,' I read, means 'enthusiasm,' and he's pretty enthusiastic; while 'Huw' is adapted from the German 'Hugh' and means 'soul, mind, intellect.' And he seems to be very smart!

"Or should I call him Wil (Hopcyn) as a salute to 'Bugeilio'r Gwenith Gwyn'?"

A few hours later, Ruth replied:

"Thanks for sending the pictures. The kittens are very adorable. Of course, I love the name Gwenith - that was my Gwen's [Ruth's late Golden Retriever] given name (given by me. Her original name was "Joybells"- didn't take me long to change that one.)

"I rather like Huw, but the others are all right as well. He really does remind me of Tomi, giving me an idea of what Tomi looked like as a kitten (Tomi was fairly young, maybe around a year old, but not a kitten when he came to live with me.)"

So there we have it. The little boy kitten's name is Huw.

No comments: